Have you ever looked on the news and they’re talking about a certain topic, and they bring in an expert to weigh in with their opinion? What about gurus in different subjects like relationships, money, or health that one day you had never heard of and the next thing you know, everyone is talking about them? Truth be told, it’s not that they started off as celebrities, but they worked hard to become an expert. Experts can get the perks of fame and fortune, but more importantly, they can be sought after by people who need their advice, and value their opinions. So how can you become an expert?
- Find what you’re passionate about: One thing that experts have in common is that they’re passionate about their topic. Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey love discussing money. Dr. Oz loves helping people get healthy. You’ll want to take time to figure what it is that you’re passionate about. Being an expert about something that you find tedious or uninteresting is just going to make your job more difficult.
- Learn everything you can about the subject: Now that you have found your passion, it’s time to go into research mode. You’ll want to learn everything you can about the subject. Read the top 10 books in that field. Follow the blogs that go over the topics in your niche. Find trade publications, videos and podcasts. Try to learn as much as you can.
- Share your knowledge with others: Don’t keep all that knowledge inside; share it with others! This is when you really start to become an expert. Start a blog where you share your findings and discuss it with your readers. Join an online (or even offline) community where you find like-minded people who are passionate about the same things you are. Discuss hot topics with other interested people.
- Generate some buzz for yourself: Now’s the time for the hard work. Offer to speak to student organizations on college campuses. Offer free seminars in your community and webinars online. Start writing your first eBook. You want people to talk about you, but how can they if they don’t know who you are? Put yourself out there, first by offering freebies. When people start to realize you know what you’re talking about, they’ll begin requesting you and that’s when you can move on to the next step.
- Know your worth: When people begin to recognize who are you and your authority in the field, they’ll begin coming to you with questions, wanting to know your opinion, asking for you to speak. This is when you can begin profiting from your knowledge. You know your worth more than anyone, and you can charge what you feel is appropriate for people to learn from you.
- Never stop learning: Your learning is never done. There are always new developments in every field (some more than others). Stay in touch with innovative findings as to keep your expertise fresh.
What are you passionate about? What would you like to be an expert on?